If Javascript is disabled browser, to place orders please visit the page where I sell my photos, powered by Fotomoto.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Inspiring Portraits.


Here are a couple of portraits that I feel really capture the personality of the person being photographed. To be clear, these images are not mine, and I am just posting them for educational purposes.
"Matilda" by Robert Henriksson.

How will my life look like in a couple of years? Will I have a job i like? I don´t even know what I like. And that frightens me. –Matilda, 17 years from Uppsala, Sweden

What I like the most about this portrait is that it isn't glamourous. The face is shadow-free, and you can see every blemish. I know I shouldn't get all ooey-gooey about a portrait (sorry, Rita!), but just look at those eyes! This girl doesn't know where life is going, and you can see the uncertainty in her eyes (you can also see a softbox). I think it was positioned high above and to the left of the camera.

And for something a little less haunting...


June Carter and Johnny Cash, property of Annie Leibovitz (but just barely :) )

I want to say that this portrait uses natural light, but with Leibovitz, who knows? I think I see the tiniest catchlight in the upper left of Johnny's pupil. Natural light or not, I think she really captured that quiet moment Rita was talking about in class...that moment where the subject is just inside themselves (am I getting mushy again? Whoops!)

We start studio lighting soon! I think Eve, Naomi and I are going to play around in the studio a bit before we do our actual assignments. There is so much to learn so quickly!




No comments: