If Javascript is disabled browser, to place orders please visit the page where I sell my photos, powered by Fotomoto.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Picture Story: Reading Reflections #2

Selecting a Subject -Jay and Hurn 

I found Jay and Hurn's take on selecting a subject to be extremely helpful. Is it visual? Is it practical? Is it something that I know enough about? Is it interesting to others? These are questions I need to think about when I brainstorm story ideas. Usually when I'm thinking about ideas, I psych myself out with the words "it's been done before." The thing is, it's all been done before. What I need to realize that if I find a subject that means something to me, then I can shoot it in a way that makes it different.


School Lunches and Polaroids- Anne Lamott

What struck me the most about this reading is how a story develops. I get easily discouraged when a story doesn't seem to be shaping up immediately, but what I need to realize is that it takes time. Getting access to a story can sometimes even take more time than it does to shoot it. It takes patience!

No comments: