If Javascript is disabled browser, to place orders please visit the page where I sell my photos, powered by Fotomoto.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day Jitters

Monday was my first shift as a photographer for The Columbia Missourian, and I was the strangest mix of excited, overwhelmed, and just plain terrified. 

My assignment? To capture confused looking students and other first day-ish sort of activities. I was just as confused as the people I was photographing. What I learned? Trust my gut. I have a certain style, and instead of just going with it, I checked out a long zoom, as well as a Nikon body and took on more than I could handle. My take was less than desirable.

Needless to say, my most successful photo, and the one my editors liked best, was the photo I took just because I thought it was interesting. I'm actually looking forward to my next shift because I feel far more confident with the first say out of the way.

Here's a photo gallery with my images and some from fellow staffers/friends Mallory Benedict and Tim Rice

And now for the photos! The first and last ones ran online and in print. The middle is just an outtake that I liked, but the hat was in the way. Oh well. 

20100824_TG_firstday_0026
MU senior Jen Stem pauses to check a campus map on Monday morning in front of Jesse Hall. Stem thought her psychology class was located south of campus by Trowbridge but was relieved to find out that it was on the white campus instead.  (my favorite!)

First Day of School
 MU junior Alex Schoenbeck looks through prints at the poster sale Monday on Lowry Mall. Schoenbeck intended on bringing his roommates to the sale later so they could pick a large poster to frame in their living room.

First Day of School
 MU sophomore Shaylyn Armstrong admires a print at the poster sale on Monday at Lowry Mall. Armstrong came to the sale to help a friend decorate his apartment, but she came across several posters she wanted for herself. Unfortunately, she said, she will have to wait for her next paycheck. 

All images ©Taylor Glascock 2010

No comments: